Victoria and Butchart Gardens tours from Vancouver offer a great break to quell the noise.
In this article, I’ll guide you through everything you need to know to plan this colourful escape.
This botanical paradise can be tricky to reach from Vancouver, but with a little planning, we’ll get there in the end.
Let’s get to my Butchart Gardens day trips from Vancouver.
Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Tours
Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Day Trip (All in One Package)
Duration: 12 hours (approx.) | Departure Point: 999 Canada Place / your hotel | Price: $249.00 pp
If you’re visiting Vancouver or live here and don’t have a car, this is the easiest way to get to Butchart Gardens from Vancouver.
This is optimal for those who wanna curl up with the tablet and let the driver do the rest.
After receiving convenient hotel pickup, you’ll hop on an air-conditioned shuttle that will take you to the ferry for a relaxing cruise through the Gulf Islands.
Keep a lookout for whales and sea lions in the sparkling waves. You might even catch sight of some bald eagles soaring high above – though I’m just happy grabbing a piece of cheesecake aboard!
Once you’ve crossed over to Vancouver Island, it’s time to head to Butchart Gardens – the shuttle will take you there and give you around two hours to visit the gardens.
The $36.50 entry fee is included in the tickets.
Afterward, you’ll have two hours to explore the vibrant corners of Victoria at your leisure.
- Hotel or port pickup and drop-off from downtown Vancouver
- Transport to and from Victoria from Vancouver
- Ferry tickets to and from Vancouver Island
- Expert tour guide
- Admission to Butchart Gardens
- 2 hours to explore downtown Victoria at your leisure
This package has received a badge of excellence from our partners at Viator (Tripadvisor) in addition to a sparkling 4.5 ? rating over 624 reviews.
2-Day Victoria & Butchart Gardens Tour with Overnight at the Inn at Laurel Point
Duration: 12 hours (approx.) | Departure Point: Hotel Pickup| Price: $560.67 pp
Looking for a bit more time to explore Victoria? Then this overnight tour from Vancouver is gonna rock your socks off! You’ll hop aboard your private transport to the ferry to Vancouver Island.
Once you arrive, get ready to be enchanted by the stunning Butchart Gardens. Admission is on the house, my friend! Take a short sightseeing tour to soak up the vibes before settling into a fancy 4-star hotel in the heart of Victoria. Talk about living the high life!
Now, here’s the best part: the next 24 hours are all yours to do as you please! Victoria is your oyster, so you can explore all the nooks and crannies, take another Victoria tour, indulge in delicious eats, and discover hidden gems of Vancouver.
When it’s time to head back to Vancouver, get ready for a jaw-dropping scenic floatplane ride. It’s gonna be an experience like no other. The cherry on top? Round-trip hotel transport from Vancouver is included, so you don’t have to worry about a thing.
- Round-trip transportation between Vancouver and Victoria
- A ticket aboard the BC Ferry between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay
- Entry to Butchart Gardens
- Overnight stay in a 4-star hotel (The Inn at Laurel Point)
- 24 hours of free-time in downtown Victoria
- Seaplane trip from Victoria to Vancouver
- Hotel pickup/drop off
How about spending a night in the iconic Empress Hotel?
Looking to kick it up a notch and enjoy the ultimate in luxury? Well, you can upgrade to the 5-star Fairmont Empress Hotel for a bit more coin.
Trust me, folks, this is the most iconic Victoria hotel on the market. So you’re sure to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Is an organized tour worth it?
In my opinion, a tour is the only way to go if you don’t have a car.
It’s also the easiest as you don’t have to worry about traffic, navigating a foreign city, and making tight ferry schedules.
Here’s a quick look at some reviews:
Looking for more? Feel free to check out the Butchart Gardens from Vancouver day trip reviews.
Vancouver to Butchart Gardens by Car
Duration: 12 hours (approx.) | Departure Point: Wherever you wish | Price: About $165.00 pp
If you’ve already got a car, you can ignore the first step and subtract around $100.00.
As you can see, this is a cheaper method and gives you more flexibility, but you’ll also have much more to consider.
Here’s how I’d make the trip by car:
- Rent a car in downtown Vancouver. Factoring in rental and gas, you’re looking at a cost north of $100 round-trip.
- Take the 45-minute drive to Tsawwassen Terminal from Vancouver.
- Purchase a fare for the ferry ride to Swartz Bay. With current rates of $73.90 per vehicle and $36.80 per adult, you’re looking at $221.40 for the round trip for two adults.
- Make the winding 30-minute drive from Sidney through the Victoria suburbs to Brentwood Bay, where you’ll finally arrive at Butchart Gardens. Tickets here are $36.50 per person.
- Drive back to Swartz Bay for the sailing back to Vancouver.
Naturally, I recommend this for people who like to drive or want to visit other Vancouver Island landmarks.
? Coming from Vancouver? Check out the 5 best Victoria tours from Vancouver.
Related: Best Things to Do in Victoria
Vancouver to Victoria by Bus
Duration: 12 hours (approx.) | Departure Point: Pacific Central Station | Price: About $269.00 pp
If you’re looking for the freedom of a car without, well, having a car – this cool new coach option could be the way.
That said, there’s just a lot of transit involved here, and it’s the most expensive. So personally, I’d rather take the all-inclusive tour listed above.
Here’s how I’d do a Butchart Gardens tour from Vancouver by bus:
- Purchase a return fare on the Vancouver to Victoria bus. At current rates of $98.00 each way, you’re looking at a $200 bill – but at least, in this case, the ferry ride is included.
- Find your way to Pacific Central Station on the fringes of downtown to board your bus.
- After your trip across the Salish Sea to downtown Victoria, you’ll find yourself at Capital City Station in downtown Victoria.
- You can take the Victoria Butchart Gardens Express Shuttle (admission included) for $50. Or alternatively, take the #30 or #31 bus (from Belleville St. behind the Fairmont Empress Hotel) to the gardens. But remember, this will take another 50-60 min.
- Make your way back to Capital City Station and re-board your bus to do the whole thing in reverse.
Butchart Gardens Tickets
If you are making the trip to Butchart Gardens on your own, here are the prices you can expect to pay at the door. Please note that the prices vary according to season and are quite fluid.
Express Shuttle Prices
In Victoria without wheels and don’t want to make the hour-plus trip to Brentwood Bay via transit? Well, the Butchart Gardens Express Shuttle has you covered. Here are the current rates:
- Adults/Children (5+) – $50.00
- Infants (0-4) – Free
Admission and round-trip transportation from downtown Victoria is included with your ticket.
During high season, the shuttle departs hourly between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm from a convenient Inner Harbour location. This is far and away the easiest way to visit the gardens on your own without a vehicle. To purchase tickets, click on the link below:
Related: The 27 Best Things to Do in Victoria
Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Tour FAQs
How much time should I plan for my visit to Butchart Gardens from Vancouver?
Plan to spend around 2 hours exploring Butchart Gardens, but you could easily spend an entire day if you have the time to see everything. That said, most tour packages usually provide 1.5 – 2 hours, depending on the season.
What is there to see during a Vancouver day trip to Butchart Gardens?
On a day trip from Vancouver to Butchart Gardens, you’ll find a stunning 55-acre botanical paradise filled with all sorts of colourful flowers and plants. It’s like walking through a rainbow!
There are also several different gardens to explore, each with its own unique theme. You’ve got the Sunken Garden, the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden, and so much more.
How much does the Vancouver to Butchart Gardens day trip cost?
The current cost of the cheapest Victoria and Butchart Gardens tour from Vancouver is $249.00 CAD for an adult (13+) and $125.00 CAD for children (3 -12).
This figure includes transportation between downtown Vancouver and Victoria in an air-conditioned shuttle. Furthermore, it also includes 2-way fare aboard BC Ferries, admission to Butchart Gardens, and a hotel pick-up/ drop-off option.
Where does my tour depart from?
The primary location for tour pickup is outside Canada Place, a short walk from the Vancouver cruise terminal and many Vancouver hotels. If you upgrade to the overnight option, custom pick-up is included. Drop-off will be at the same location.
Ready to visit Butchart Gardens from Vancouver?
If you’re looking for a Butchart Gardens day trip from Vancouver, I’ve reviewed the best tour options.
Still, feeling unsure? Feel free to write me in the comments below with any questions about your trip to Butchart Gardens from Vancouver.
Don’t forget to smell the roses ?