Victoria and Butchart Gardens tours from Vancouver offer a great break to quell the noise.
In this article, I’ll guide you through everything you need to know to plan this colourful escape.
This botanical paradise can be a bit tricky to reach from Vancouver, but with a little planning we’ll get there in the end.
Let’s get to my Butchart Gardens day trips from Vancouver.
Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Tours
1. Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Day Trip (All in One Package)
Duration: 12 hours (approx.) | Departure Point: 999 Canada Place / your hotel | Price: $249.00 pp
If you’re visiting Vancouver or live here and don’t have a car this is the easiest way to get to Butchart Gardens from Vancouver.
This is optimal for those who wanna curl up with the tablet and let the driver do the rest.
After receiving convenient hotel pickup, you’ll hop on an air-conditioned shuttle which will take you right to the ferry for a relaxing cruise through the Gulf Islands.
Keep a lookout for whales and sea lions in the sparkling waves. You might even catch sight of some bald eagles soaring high above – though I’m just happy grabbing a piece of cheesecake aboard!
Once you’ve crossed over to Vancouver Island, it’s time to head to Butchart Gardens – the shuttle will take you there and give you around two hours to visit the gardens.
The $36.50 entry fee is included in the tickets.
After, you’ll have some two hours to explore the vibrant corners of Victoria at your leisure.
- Hotel or port pickup and drop-off from downtown Vancouver
- Transport to and from Victoria from Vancouver
- Ferry tickets to and from Vancouver Island
- Expert tour guide
- Admission to Butchart Gardens
- 2 hours to explore downtown Victoria at your leisure
This package has received a badge of excellence from our partners at Viator (Tripadvisor) in addition to a sparkling 4.5 🌟 rating over 624 reviews.
Is the Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Day Trip Worth it?
In my opinion, the Vancouver to Butchart Gardens day trip package above is the only way to go if you don’t have a car.
It’s also the easiest as you don’t have to worry about traffic, navigating through a foreign city, and making tight ferry schedules.
Here’s a quick look at some reviews for this Vancouver Butchart Gardens tour:
Looking for more? Feel free to check out the Butchart Gardens from Vancouver day trip reviews.
2. Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Tour by Car
Duration: 12 hours (approx.) | Departure Point: Wherever you wish | Price: About $165.00 pp
If you’ve already got a car you can ignore the first step and subtract around $100.00.
As you can see, this is a cheaper method and gives you more flexibility but you’ll also have a lot more to think about.
Here’s how I’d do Vancouver to Butchart Gardens by car:
- Rent a car in downtown Vancouver. Factoring in rental and gas, you’re looking at a cost north of $100 round-trip.
- Take the 45-minute drive to Tsawwassen Terminal from Vancouver.
- Purchase a fare for the ferry ride to Swartz Bay. With current rates of $73.90 per vehicle and $36.80 per adult you’re looking at $221.40 for the round trip for two adults.
- Make the winding 30-minute drive from Sidney through the Victoria suburbs to Brentwood Bay, where you’ll finally arrive at Butchart Gardens. Tickets here are $36.50 per person.
- Drive back to Swartz Bay for the sailing back to Vancouver.
Naturally, I am recommending this for people who like to drive or people who want to visit other Vancouver Island landmarks.
🚀 Coming from Vancouver? Check out the 5 best Victoria tours from Vancouver.
Related: Best Things to Do in Victoria
3. Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart Gardens Tour by Bus
Duration: 12 hours (approx.) | Departure Point: Pacific Central Station | Price: About $269.00 pp
If you’re looking for the freedom of a car without, well, having a car – this Vancouver to Butchart Gardens bus option could be the way.
That said, there’s just a lot of transit involved here and it’s the most expensive, so I’d rather take the all-inclusive bus tour listed above.
Here’s how I’d do a Butchart Gardens tour from Vancouver without a car – yet still wanting more freedom than a package tour:
- Purchase a return fare on the Vancouver to Victoria bus. At current rates of $98.00 each way, you’re basically looking at a $200 bill – but at least, in this case, the ferry ride is included.
- Find your way to Pacific Central Station on the fringes of downtown to board your bus.
- After your trip across the Salish Sea to downtown Victoria, you’ll find yourself at Capital City Station in downtown Victoria.
- You can then take the Victoria Butchart Gardens Express Shuttle (admission included) for a price of $50. Or alternatively, take the #30 or #31 bus (from Belleville St. behind the Fairmont Empress Hotel) to the gardens. But remember, this will take another 50-60 min.
- Make your way back to Capital City Station and re-board your bus to do the whole thing in reverse.
Related: How to Get from Vancouver to Victoria
Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Tour FAQs
How much time should I plan for my visit to Butchart Gardens?
Plan to spend around 2 hours exploring Butchart Gardens, but you could easily spend an entire day if you have the time to see everything. That said, the Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Tour package usually provides you with 1.5 – 2 hours, depending on the season.
What is there to see during a Vancouver day trip to Butchart Gardens?
On a day trip from Vancouver to Butchart Gardens, you’ll find an amazing 55 acres of stunning botanical gardens that are filled with all sorts of colourful flowers and plants. It’s like walking through a rainbow!
There are also several different gardens to explore, each with its own unique theme. You’ve got the Sunken Garden, the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden, and so much more.
How much does the Vancouver to Butchart Gardens day trip cost?
The current cost of the cheapest Victoria and Butchart Gardens tour from Vancouver is $249.00 CAD for an adult (13+), and $125.00 CAD for children (3 -12).
This figure includes transportation between downtown Vancouver and Victoria in an air-conditioned shuttle. It also includes 2-way fare aboard BC Ferries, admission to Butchart Gardens, and the option for hotel pick up/ drop-off.
Where does the Butchart Gardens day trip from Vancouver depart from?
The primary location for tour pickup is outside Canada Place, a short walk from the Vancouver cruise terminal and many Vancouver hotels. Drop-off will be at the same location. However, when booking, you’ll have the option of selecting hotel pick-up/drop-off, which is highly recommended.
Ready for Your Vancouver to Butchart Gardens Tour?
If you’re looking for a Butchart Gardens day trip from Vancouver I’ve gone through the best tour options here.
That said, if you’re still not sure feel free to write me in the comments below with any questions.
Enjoy your day tours from Vancouver to Butchart Gardens 🌸
Leave a reply